LM2576HVT-5V Switched Mode Power Supply Hobby/Education Kit – DC to DC suitable for Raspberry Pi or Hobby Projects
Back in stock due to popular demand
stock 11 kits) £10.99 (Free UK Postage)
Available from eBay (meltwater2000)
http://goo.gl/6BJxR (Link Expires 17th March)
It is excellent hearing about the projects these modules are being used for!
www.xmas4all.co.uk– Being one of them.
Thanks to the support of those buying these, the feedback has been very positive and I hope to create some more useful kits in the new year.
This kit contains all the components and instructions required to build a 5 volt switched mode power supply, suitable for powering a Raspberry Pi computer from a 7 volts to 40 volts* DC supply.
Testing has shown that the unit is around 80% efficient, where a comparable linear regulator (such as LM350T) was measured under 50% (based on a quick test).
Not only does this make the most of your battery power, but far less heat is generated in the process.
The switched-mode power supply IC with the heat-sink removed comfortably powered the Raspberry Pi for over an hour while only getting warm (estimated around 40-50 degC). Performing the same test with the linear power supply, the IC was too hot to touch (over 80 degC) within minutes.
Kit is supplied unassembled – fully-assembled & hand-soldered version is available at additional cost please contact for details.
Additional options (contact me to arrange them):
For multiple items, ask for a quote (since posting will be less and it is easier to make/test several in one go).
+£2 Mounting Holes – Two mounting holes can be added to the board (3mm diameter – located below USB connector and above the terminal block)
+£10 Assembled & Tested – Will provide the kit assembled and tested (the includes added cost for postage since the item has to be sent as a packet).
Please contact me if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.
- Great way to get started with hobby electronics
- Compact design (approximately 30x25x75mm HxWxL)
- Large built-in heat-sink
- LM2576HVT-5.0 Based Voltage Regulator 3A (for datasheet – http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1520137.pdf)
- Female USB Output Connector (micro-USB cable for powering Raspberry Pi not included)
- Screw Terminal Input Connection
- Full colour assembly manual
- Easy to follow assembly instructions
- Strip-board prepared with enlarged pre-drilled holes for diode and all required track-cuts
- Component legs pre-bent for easy assembly
In addition to the kit, you will need the following equipment (not supplied):
- Soldering Iron
- Wire cutters
- Small ~3mm flat-head screwdriver (for terminal block screws and to attach heat-sink)
- Suitable work area (a surface which is flat and will not be damaged by heat) – A wooden board or heat-mat can be used to protect surfaces if required.
Recommended additional equipment (not supplied):
- A basic Multi-meter/Voltage Meter (useful to check the circuit is working correctly)
- Solder “sucker” or de-soldering wick (to help remove solder if you make a mistake)
- Safety Glasses (please protect your eyes from damage)
- Long nose piers
- Hobby Knife/Scalpel
* General Terms:
This is purely a hobby project, designed specifically as an educational example only. While care has been taken to select components which should withstand 3Amps and up to 50V input, they have not been tested at these extremes of operation and is likely to push the limits of the supplied strip-board (if you require this, then please choose a purpose built unit better suited to your needs). In event of component loss, or failure due to incorrect wiring or driving by voltage/current (even if within the rated limits) replacements parts will only be supplied at customer’s own cost (including postage). If powering from batteries, remember additional circuits may be required to protect against excess discharge, over-heating and damage while in use (the kit does not provide this protection). Additional circuits may be required to charge some mobile devices via the USB connector (i.e. Apple). It is recommended that this device is not used in a situation where it is unsupervised or likely to cause injury or damage in case of failure or fire. No guarantee or assurances can be given that the PSU will operate without failure or damage. No liability will be accepted for damage or injury resulting from the use of this kit. Use of this kit is entirely at your own risk. It is recommended that the circuit output is checked with a multi-meter/voltage-meter prior to connecting to any equipment. Components and strip-board may vary in colour and appearance, and specification. Returns cannot be accepted on used/part used kits.